Faidley’s Crab Cakes
These award-winning crab cakes are the highlight of Faidley's Seafood in Lexington Market at Baltimore Harbor, Maryland, and a long-time family favorite.
- ½ cup mayonnaise not salad dressing
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- 1 lb. fresh crab meat or canned
- 1 cup Saltines crushed (about 20 crackers)
- Oil or butter for sautéing
- Stir together first five ingredients. Fold in crab gently trying not to break up the chunks. Add saltines and let mixture stand 3 minutes. Gently shape into 8 patties; try not to over handle.
- Chill on wax paper lined cookie sheet for one hour
- Sauté in butter or oil for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel. Or broil under preheated broiler until nicely brown, turning to cook evenly, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Note: Old Bay seasoning or other ingredients are unnecessary. They merely mask the crab flavor. Crackers produce lighter cakes than bread crumbs. Never break up crab with a fork. Try to keep as much lump together as possible. Serves 8.
- For Tartar Sauce[/u]
- Combine 1 cup mayonnaise, ½ cup finely chopped dill pickle, ¼ cup minced onion, 2 Tbs. chopped parsley, and 1 Tbs. pickle juice.