Every family has it's favorite dressing--this is ours .I've been enjoying it for 40 years.
- 1 lb. medium-flavored bulk sausage
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 cup toasted pecans chopped (optional)
- 2-3 eggs
- 2 small packages Pepperidge Farm cornbread dressing I use part Herb variety and part toasted white bread, such as Arnold's Country Classic
- 1-2 cans Campbell's Chicken-Rice soup + chicken broth if needed for more moisture
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- Crumble and brown sausage in large skillet; drain and transfer to large bowl. Add butter or margarine to pan drippings and sauté onions,celery, and carrot. Combine vegetables with sausage in large bowl along with pecans, eggs, and dressing or bread. Add enough soup to moisten. If more moisture is needed add some chicken broth..
- Add seasonings to taste. Stuff turkey neck and body cavity loosely with mixture. Spoon any remaining mixture lightly into a greased 9-inch baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Note: In recent year, I've added a clove of garlic to the saute and a few dried cranberries to the mixture. Dressing should feel moist. I sprinkle the soffrito lightly with salt, but use no other salt.There's plenty in the ingredients. I usually pour some of the turkey drippings atop the baked dressing when it comes from the oven.
Leave a Reply