Chili con Carne with Beer
The addition of one cup of beer adds a new dimension to this classic pot of chili.
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves, garlic, crushed
- 2 lbs. coarsely ground beef
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz. can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beer
- ¼ cup chili powder (Penzey's preferred)
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2-3 dried hot pepper pods (or dash of red pepper flakes)
- In a large Dutch-oven, placed over medium heat, warm oil until hot. Saute onion and garlic until lightly brown. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain off excess fat.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered for an hour.
- Serve with grated yellow cheese and/or chopped green onions, if desired. Makes 8-10 one cup servings.