Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 2 large white onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 tsp. brown sugar (optional)
- 4 slices Gruyere, Swiss, or Cheddar cheese
- 8 slices sourdough or whole wheat bread
- In a skillet, add the olive oil (or butter). Add the sliced onions and heat them on low, stirring often. After about 10 minutes, add a bit of salt. Cook, at least, for a total of 25 minutes or until caramelized. Toward end of cooking time, add sugar and vinegar, if using.
- Butter the outsides of the bread for grilling.
- Place caramelized onions on plate and gently pat till dry.
- Add cheese and caramelized onions onto the buttered breads. Grill on a skillet or electric griddle.