Candy Peppermint Kiss Cookies
- 1 cup butter barely softened
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 10 peppermint candies starlight mints
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling
- 1 pkg. Candy Cane Hershey kisses
- Place the peppermint candies in a ziplock bag and pound them with a mallet or rolling pin till they are finely crushed, set aside.
- Cream together the butter and peppermint extract. Beat in the crushed peppermint candies.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt, then stir into the butter mixture. Dough will be very stiff, you may need to work it with your hands.
- Cover and chill the dough for 30-60 minutes. Roll in 1” balls, then roll in sugar. Place on parchment lined or ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for about 10-12 minutes. Immediately press a kiss in the middle of each cookie.
- Cool for several minutes on the pan before carefully removing to cooling racks, or let cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- You should end up with about 5 tablespoons of crushed peppermint candy crumbs. You can substitute crushed peppermint candy canes.