- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice + zest
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 nine-inch unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prebake crust for 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat eggs until frothy; add butter, sugar and flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice, zest, and nutmeg; pour into partially baked pie shell.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until center is firm and knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Note: To kick this recipe into hyperdrive, replace the lemon juice with 3 Tbs. of bourbon and 1 tsp. lemon zest.