My mother made this every summer when fresh tomatoes were plentiful. But it can also be made anytime with canned tomatoes.
- 1 2-lb. can peeled tomatoes, or equivalent fresh
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 small green pepper chopped
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Bread torn in pieces, about 3 slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute bacon. Add onions and green pepper. Saute until soft. Add tomatoes and simmer 5-10 minutes. Add sugar and enough bread to thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.