Beet Salad with Onions
- 1 small red onion quartered and thin sliced
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. cooked beets cut in ½” cubes
- 2 Tsp. fresh oregano or parsley or thyme
- Goat cheese or feta optional
- Put the sliced onion in cold water and slosh around a few minutes to remove bitterness. To make the onions crunchier, pour off water and add more water and ice cubes.
- Meanwhile, but mustard, honey, vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste into a small jar and shake briskly. Or use a whisk and a small bowl to emulsify the dressing. (Dressing can be made ahead and refrigerated for a week.)
- Toss the cubed beets with dressing and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Before serving fold the beets into the dressing. Taste for salt and pepper. Place on bed of lettuce/ Add cheese (if using). Drain onion slices, pat dry and put them atop salad. (Recipe from Dorie Greenspan)