Flammekuechen (Alsatian Tarte Flambe)
I ate this delightful cheesy tarte in an outdoor market in Austria. My host gave me the simple recipe, which I have enjoyed frequently since then.
- Pizza crust(s)
- Crème fraiche
- White cheese, such as Swiss or Emmental.
- Onion slices, cut extremely thin
- Cross-cut bacon
- Roll out the crust(s) to fit the size of your sheet pan. Smear the top of uncooked dough with crème fraiche.
- Top with a grated white cheese such as Emmental or Swiss.
- Finish off the top with extremely thin onion slices and bits of cross-cut bacon. All the parts are kept thin so they cook quickly in a very hot oven.
- Cook for 14 minutes in a 500 degree oven and finish off under broiler