Italian Meat Balls
Great texture and taste. Best of all they can be fried or baked and frozen.
Recipe type: Beef
- 4 slices white bread, softened in ½ cup milk
- 1 lb. ground beef (or ¾ lb. beef; ¼ lb. ground pork)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg (the secret ingredient)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbs. oil for frying
- Soften bread in milk for several minutes, mashing with fork to form a paste, a "panade"--this is what give the meatball such a smooth texture.
- Combine bread with remaining ingredients. Form into 20 to 30 meatballs and brown in skillet with olive oil. Or bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 20minutes, turning once.
- If using with spaghetti sauce, add during last 30 minutes of cooking. Makes 30 meatballs. Freezes well.