Italian Meat Balls
Great texture and taste. Best of all they can be fried or baked and frozen.
- 4 slices white bread softened in 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb. ground beef or 3/4 lb. beef; 1/4 lb. ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg the secret ingredient
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbs. oil for frying
- Soften bread in milk for several minutes, mashing with fork to form a paste, a "panade"--this is what give the meatball such a smooth texture.
- Combine bread with remaining ingredients. Form into 20 to 30 meatballs and brown in skillet with olive oil. Or bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 20minutes, turning once.
- If using with spaghetti sauce, add during last 30 minutes of cooking. Makes 30 meatballs. Freezes well.
Leave a Reply