Cranberry Sauce with Pears, Brandy & Walnuts
- 1/3 cup plus 2-3 tablespoons brandy, divided
- 2 cinnamon sticks each broken in half
- 8 black peppercorns
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries picked over
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 medium Bartlett pears peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts toasted and divided
- Pour 1/3 cup brandy into liquid measuring cup; add enough water to reach 1/2 cup liquid total. Set aside. Place broken cinnamon sticks and peppercorns in center of small piece of cheesecloth or large tea bag and tie closed using kitchen twine.
- In medium saucepot, combine cranberries, brown sugar and cinnamon-pepper bundle. Using large holes on a box grater, grate pears into saucepot.
- Stir in brandy-water mixture.
- Over high heat, bring cranberry mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium and cook 10-12 minutes, or until cranberries have burst and the mixture has combined, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons brandy. Let cool. Remove and discard cinnamon bundle. Stir in 7 tablespoons toasted walnuts. Transfer mixture to small serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining walnuts.(From Food 52)