Southern-Style Green Beans and New Potatoes
- 5 slices bacon rough chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans washed, trimmed and snapped
- 2 lbs. small red new potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth or all, or part, water
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes if desired
- Cook bacon in large saucepan over medium heat until meat renders its fat and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion and continue to cook for additional 5 minutes. (I sometimes add a clove of garlic, chopped, along with the onion.)
- Add beans and potatoes and just enough of the broth, and/or water, to barely cover. Add seasonings. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Kitchen Notes:
- Don’t use Russet or baking potatoes; they don’t stand up well in the long cooking. Red potatoes or fingerlings work best.
- You can sub canned green beans, (about 4-5 cans) for fresh beans in the recipe.
- I sometimes add a ham hock to the pot for further seasoning.
- Peel potatoes, if you like, or just cut them in half to make sure they soak up the flavor. Or scrape just a band around the middle