Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter
- 2 lbs. fresh, ripe tomatoes (blanched, skinned and chopped), or one 28 oz. can Italian tomatoes (San Marzano or Muir Glen Organic), cut up, with their juice
- 5 Tbs. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut in half
- Salt to taste
- Put tomatoes in saucepan and add the butter, onion, and salt. Cook, uncovered, on low, maintaining a steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until sauce thickens and fat floats free from the tomato.
- Stir occasionally, mashing up large pieces of tomato using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt. Before tossing with pasta, you may remove the onion (as Hazan does), or chop and leave it in or add using food processor. Serve with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.