With homegrown tomatoes showing up in gardens and farmers’ markets, it’s time to find more ways to bring this seasonal treat to the table. Recently I’ve been enjoying BLTs, caprese salad, and spaghetti sauce made from fresh tomatoes. But there are other nutritious and easy tomato salads to add to the rotation.
Here are three. Thanks to friends and readers for sending me the recipes they’ve found fun to make and share.
The first originated with NYT foodster, Mark Bittman. You can never go wrong with Bittman. He suggests adding rice doused with oil and vinegar to this salad, if you want something more rib-sticking. But if you stay with the original recipe, he says you don’t need vinegar, because the tomatoes add enough acidity. But if you think otherwise, add a little vinegar.
Corn Salad With Tomatoes, Feta and Mint
- 2 to 3 cups cooked corn kernels (from 4-6 ears)
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut in small pieces
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the corn, chopped tomatoes (or halved cherry tomatoes), and cheese in a medium salad bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss.
- Add the mint leaves and toss again. Taste and add salt and pepper.
This next one is adapted from a recipe sent by my friend, Anne Carman, who says her family greatly enjoys her rendition of this tomato-pasta medley zapped with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Summer Tomato Pasta Salad
Ingredients: (Serves 6-8)
- 12 oz. rotini or fusilli pasta, or linguini
- 3 large fresh tomatoes, diced, or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix together the tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and basil.
- Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and rinse under cold water; drain.
- Mix pasta with tomato mixture until well-combined.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Tomato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
Ingredients: (Serves 6-8)
- 3 Tbs. minced shallots
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large ripe beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 2 Tbs. rinsed salt-packed caper (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 fresh medium basil leaves, torn into approx. 1/2″ pieces
Directions: Combine shallots, vinegar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil to blend. Set vinaigrette aside. Arrange tomatoes on a large platter. Sprinkle capers over (if using); season with salt and pepper. Scatter basil on top. Whisk vinaigrette again; drizzle over salad. Adapted from Bon Appetit.