So easy to make. A wonderful spread on toast and sandwiches. Serve on pasta and with crackers or chips.
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 2 lbs. zucchini or assorted summer squash (use less or add extra)
- ¼ cup olive oil or butter
- 2 minced shallots, garlic, or combination of both
- Salt and pepper
- Coarsely grate the zucchini. Let it drain in a colander for 3 to 4 minutes or until you are ready to begin cooking. To hasten cooking time, squeeze the water out of the zucchini by wringing it in a clean cloth towel.
- In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil or butter. Sauté the shallots and/or garlic briefly. Add the zucchini and toss. Cook and stir over medium to medium-high heat until the zucchini reaches a spreadable consistency, about 15 minutes. If it seems to be scorching, turn the flame down. The zucchini will hold its bright green color and slowly caramelize into a nice vegetable jam.
- For a richer version, add a bit of heavy cream to the mixture at the very end. Recipe makes 2 cups.