Vietnamese Bun Ga Xao
All the color and flavor of a restaurant bowl of this delicious noodle dish. This is the recipe for one portion (bowl). Increase for number of bowls being made.
Recipe type: Ethnic
- 1 serving rice vermicelli noodle
- 1 small chicken thigh
- 3 green onions, sliced on diagonal
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 lettuce leaves, chopped, bibb and/or iceberg
- 3 spearmint leaves, chopped
- 3 Thai basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbs. shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. Sriracha chili sauce
- 6 roasted peanuts, slightly crushed
- 1 Tbs. onion flakes
- Olive oil
- ½ cup fresh bean sprouts
- 3 Tbs. fish sauce
- Noodles: Bring 3 cup water to boil and add one serving of rice vermicelli noodles. (Or the amount needed for those you're serving.) Boil 5 minutes, drain, and place in eating bowl.
- Chicken: In medium pot, bring water to boil, reduce heat to medium and cook chicken thigh until internal temperature is 165 degrees. Set cooked chicken aside. When cool, shred chick thigh.
- Onion, Garlic, Chicken: Mince garlic and onions. In small saucepan, add 3 Tbs olive oil and onion, garlic, and shredded chicken and saute about 45 seconds.
- Olive Oil and Onion Flakes: In a small saucepan, add oil and onion flakes, stirring until crisp. Set aside in small bowl.
- Leaves: Chop lettuce along with spearmint and basil and set aside. (I prefer to julienne the lettuce and leaves.)
- Place the rice vermicelli noodles in a medium bowl and add fresh bean sprouts on one side of bowl. Add chopped leaves (combined lettuce, spearmint and basil) next to bean sprouts. Top with sauteed chicken/onion/garlic mixture, shredded carrots, crispy onion flakes, and Sriracha sauce, and peanuts. Serve with fish sauce,