Sicilian Stuffed Peppers
I make a batch of these for the freezer for a quick evening meal. This recipe is adapted from one shown on the website of the owners of DiGregorio Italian Grocery on The Hill in St. Louis.
Recipe type: Beef
- 4 large green peppers (or mix of green, yellow and red)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ lb. mild Italian salsiccia
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 14-oz can diced San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. garlic, chopped
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, such as Panko
- ¾ lb. Italian Fontina cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- Parsley, finely chopped (garnish)
- Remove tops and core green peppers. Remove stem, dice the tops and set aside. Parboil peppers 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of the shell.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add salsiccia sausage, ground beef, and diced green peppers. When meats are cooked through, add tomatoes and garlic.
- Once the tomatoes have been reduced, remove from heat. Add breadcrumbs and fontina cheese. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the pepper shells and top with Parmesan and parsley. Bake for 30 minutes. Serves 4.
- Note I add about ⅓ of chopped onions to the meat/pepper skillet and ¼ tsp. of red pepper flakes. Sometimes I cook the stuffed pepper in a puddle of Marinara Sauce (or store-bought spaghetti sauce) and top the uncooked stuffed pepper with a spoonful before adding the Parmesan.