Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Fried Apples
These light, lemony pancakes are perfect for any meal. A special treat when served with honey-butter and fried apples.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbs. lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup soft butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 Granny Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, buttermilk, sugar, and ricotta cheese.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt, stirring to thoroughly combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and gently fold into the batter, stirring till no streaks of white remain.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot enough to immediately evaporate a drop of water; about 350°F. Using a quarter-cup measure, drop batter onto the heated griddle. Use the back of a spoon to gently spread the cakes into circles. The batter is a bit stiff and might need some coaxing. (If batter is too thick, thin a bit with more buttermilk.)
- Cook for about 2 minutes on the first side; bubbles should rise and burst before you flip the pancakes over. Cook for about 1½ minutes on the second side. They should be a very light golden brown when finished.
- To make honey butter toping, stir together the soft butter and honey till smooth.
- For fried apples accompaniment, sauté apples in butter over moderate heat in large, heavy skillet, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with as much of the sugar/cinnamon mixture as desired and cooked for another 5-10 minutes or until tender. Stir in lemon juice. Serve warm with pancakes.