So hearty and packed with nutrition. Perfect for a cold, wintry day.
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 slices bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large leek, white part only, sliced thin
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can peeled San Marzano tomatoes with juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ cup cavatappi noodles or small macaroni noodles
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling, optional
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for garnish, optional
- Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add bacon pieces and cook for a few minutes till starting to brown.
- Add 2 Tbs. more of oil along with chopped onions, garlic and leek. Cook till softened.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, zucchini, potato and sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in stock and chickpeas. Add tomatoes, crushing with hand as you do. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add spinach and noodles and simmer about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed. Serve with a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Serves 6 to 8. Adapted from recipe by WinnieAb, Food 52.