So hearty and packed with nutrition. Perfect for a cold, wintry day.
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 slices bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large leek, white part only, sliced thin
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf, whole
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can peeled San Marzano tomatoes with juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ cup cavatappi or ditalini noodles, or small macaroni noodles
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling, optional
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for garnish, optional
- Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add bacon pieces and cook for a few minutes till starting to brown.
- Add 2 Tbs. more of oil along with chopped onions, garlic and leek. Cook till softened.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, zucchini, potato and sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in stock, bay leaf, and chickpeas. Add tomatoes, crushing with hand as you do. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add spinach and noodles and simmer about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed. Serve with a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Serves 6 to 8. Adapted from recipe by WinnieAb, Food 52.