Fried Cornbread Cakes
My grandmother ate these everyday. The addition of eggs and buttermilk definitely upgrade the old-fashioned version. They're easy to make and great with butter, syrup, cooked greens, or jelly.
Recipe type: Bread
Cuisine: Southern Food
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- ¾ cup to 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs. canola oil/butter combination for frying
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal and sugar. Measure buttermilk into a liquid measuring cup and add water and oil; blend well. Add eggs and mix well; combine with dry ingredients. Batter will be stiffer than pancake batter.
- Heat oil and butter combination in cast iron skillet over medium heat and drop batter by ⅛ cup measures into the hot oil.
- Fry till brown and crisp; turn and brown the other side. Remove and let drain on wire rack or paper towels. Serve immediately with syrup, butter, cooked greens or jelly.