A bit longer to make then box pudding, but this version by Martha Stewart is far superior in taste.
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Comfort Food
- •2/3 cup sugar
- •1/4 cup cornstarch
- •1/4 tsp. salt
- •1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- •2½ cups milk
- •4 large egg yolks
- •2 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- •1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. If making chocolate pudding, add cocoa powder. Very gradually (a few tablespoons at a time) whisk in milk, taking care to dissolve cornstarch. Whisk in egg yolks.
- Whisking constantly, cook over medium heat until the first large bubble forms and sputters. Reduce heat to low; still whisking, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; immediately pour through sieve into bowl. Stir butter and vanilla into hot pudding.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding (to prevent skin from forming); chill at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. Before serving, whisk pudding until smooth; divide among four serving dishes.