Butternut Squash Sauce, Spinach and Tortellini
A colorful, creamy pasta dish that both family and guest will love.
Recipe type: Pasta
- 1 cup butternut squash puree*
- 1 cup half and half cream
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch of paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper seasoning (approximately)
- 2 cups tortellini, uncooked, preferably cheese variety
- 8 oz. fresh, uncooked, spinach
- Add butternut squash puree*, half and half cream, nutmeg, paprika, and salt to a large skillet, on medium heat. Stir all ingredients to combine. Add lemon pepper seasoning to taste. Add spinach on top of mixture, cover, remove from heat. Allow spinach to wilt in pan.
- Bring medium pan of water to boil, add uncooked tortellini and cook according to the package instructions, about 7-10 minutes in boiling water. Drain.
- Add cooked and drained tortellini to skillet with butternut squash sauce and spinach and stir to combine. If the sauce is too thick, add more half and half. Taste and add more salt, nutmeg and/or lemon pepper.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- *Slice large butternut squash horizontally, remove seeds. Place on baking sheet (parchment lined for ease), cut side down and roast in 425 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, or until tender. Remove, cool slightly, and scoop pulp from skin, measuring 1 cup.