No two bread puddings are alike, but this simple version has always been my favorite.
Recipe type: Dessert
- 5-6 baked biscuits (or equivalent amount of French baguette or cinnamon loaf bread, or a mixture)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar (amount reduced from original recipe)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. dried cranberries or yellow raisins (opt: soak in a couple Tbs. of bourbon, or rum, for a few hours before including)
- Combine all ingredients and stir well. Pour into a 1-1/2 quart casserole. Place filled casserole into a larger baking pan with deep sides and pour water to one inch depth around casserole dish to create a water bath. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with Rum Sauce, Salted Caramel Whiskey Butter Sauce and/or ice cream. Serves 8.
- Rum Sauce: ½ cup sugar; ¼ cup water; 2 Tbs. butter; 1 Tbs. rum.
- Combine sugar, water, and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Serve warm over dished up bread pudding.
- Salted Caramel Whiskey Butter Sauce: ⅓ cup unsalted butter cubed; ½ cup sugar; ½ tsp. sea salt; 1¼ cups whipping cream; 3 Tbs. whiskey. Melt butter in saucepan and whisk in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil; reduce heat, simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes or till slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Spoon over pudding.