Recipe type: Fruit
Cuisine: Side Dish
- 4 apples, (Jonagold, Fuji, Rome, Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Mueslix or rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 Tbs. flour
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup apple juice, cider, or water
- Optional extras: Orange zest, lemon zest, raisins, dried cranberries, and chopped nuts.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove the core of the apples, cutting to within a half-inch of the bottom of the apple and creating a well about 1-inch wide. (Use a melon baller or paring knife.)
- Mix the brown sugar, Mueslix or oatmeal, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chilled butter cut into small pieces. Divide this mixture between the apples, packing the wells firmly.
- Arrange the apples in a baking dish, like an 8×8-inch Pyrex dish. Pour the juice or water into the bottom of the dish and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes and remove foil. Continue baking uncovered until the apples are soft and the brown sugar has melted into a syrup, an additional 20 minutes. You can test the apples by poking a paring knife through the oatmeal mixture and into the interior of the apple; it should slide into the apple easily without resistance. The skin on the apples will also become wrinkled and soft when done.
- Serve with: Ice cream, crème fraiche, whipped cream, Cool Whip or yogurt sweetened with honey.